LAUNCH was founded in 2009 by NASA, USAID, the U.S. Department of State, NIKE and SecondMuse.
Our mission is to LAUNCH and scale innovations that can change the world through the power of aligned communities and networks.
Our moonshot is System0 – a future of infinite prosperity with zero injustice for all.
LAUNCH’s mission is to build and nurture a community of innovators, thought leaders and decision-makers across value chains to collectively understand, articulate, and scale solutions for positive systems change leading to a more sustainable society.
THEORY OF CHANGE
The LAUNCH network is a cross-sector community that is co-creating a shared vision for the future.
This network is our superpower.
We believe that cross-sector networks:
- Can transcend the limitations of organizational silos
- Break down the barriers that hold back transformative innovation
- Create processes that encourage the free flow of collaborative capital and information
We call this approach Network-Centered Innovation. Learn about our network here.
Since 2009, LAUNCH has successfully designed, developed and delivered 12 challenges resulting in the acceleration of more than 100 innovators. In total, our innovators have attracted over US $140 million in direct funding and reached more than 95 million people globally.
With innovations in the U.S. and across the world, including El Salvador, Uganda, The Netherlands, Germany, and Brazil, LAUNCH has driven social impact through innovation, job creation, and acceleration of proven technologies.
RECOGNITION & AWARDS
- LAUNCH was recognized with the Tibbetts Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration. Tibbetts Awards are presented to leaders and programs that have been instrumental in the federal government’s research and development needs and the nation’s economy through technological innovation.
- LAUNCH was included in The Observatory of Public Sector Innovation, as one of 100 programs featured from 20 countries. The platform includes a collection of innovations from a wide range of sectors across the world to inspire innovators in other countries.
- Fast Company named Nike one of the world’s most innovative companies, giving a special mention to the expansion of the LAUNCH program that year.
- LAUNCH was awarded a Nike Maxim Award. Nike employees vote on projects that best represent each of the company’s 11 guiding principles, then choose the project of the year.
- LAUNCH was featured in the G8 Social Impact Investment Forum in London.
- LAUNCH was named in Top 25 Innovations in Government. The recognition comes each year by the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
- LAUNCH Water team was given the NASA Group Achievement Award “for the creativity and energy you have dedicated to create a forum to share innovations in water sustainability to better our world.”