Established in 2009, LAUNCH is a network-centred innovation platform founded on the belief that the problems of today are too big to be solved by any one organization alone. Our unique approach is to convene and curate networks of individuals and organizations to forge pathways for change together.
LAUNCH was founded by NASA, the U.S. Agency for International Development, the U.S. Department of State and NIKE, Inc., who joined together to identify, showcase and support innovative approaches to sustainability challenges.
LAUNCH is powered by SecondMuse.
The way we innovate changes the world for good.
LAUNCH’s mission is to build and nurture a community of innovators, thought leaders and decision makers across value chains to collectively understand, articulate and scale solutions for positive systems change leading to a more sustainable society.
• Sustainability is the biggest challenge and opportunity of our time.
• It will take innovation at all levels to address these challenges and improve our future.
• System-wide collaboration is imperative to spur investment in these innovations.
• New models of collaboration and transaction are required to leverage these opportunities and ensure positive social change.
LAUNCH has sourced and supported life-changing, sustainable solutions in water, health, energy, waste, materials and green chemistry. To-date, 77 innovators have accepted the challenge, and have attracted some $94,000,000 in funding.
With innovations in the U.S. and across the world including El Salvador, Uganda, The Netherlands, Germany, and Brazil, LAUNCH has driven social impact through innovation, job creation, and acceleration of proven technologies.
Powerful Network of Committed Change Agents
Critical to the success of LAUNCH is a powerful and diverse network of thinkers and doers creating pathways for change.
LAUNCH instigates system-wide collaboration to address complex challenges to our resource-constrained world through its curated network of innovators and thought leaders - a growing community of the most disruptive thinkers and doers on the planet. LAUNCH Network members help shape our challenge statements, recruit and select innovators, provide pro-bono innovator support and mentorship, and join a coalition of the committed to actively shepherd change.
RECOGNITION & AWARDS
- LAUNCH was recognized with the Tibbetts Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration. Tibbetts Awards are presented to leaders and programs that have been instrumental in the federal government’s research and development needs and the nation’s economy through technological innovation.
- LAUNCH was included in The Observatory of Public Sector Innovation, as one of 100 programs featured from 20 countries. The platform includes a collection of innovations from a wide range of sectors across the world to inspire innovators in other countries.
- Fast Company named Nike one of the world’s most innovative companies, giving a special mention to the expansion of the LAUNCH program that year.
- LAUNCH was awarded a Nike Maxim Award. Nike employees vote on projects that best represent each of the company’s 11 guiding principles, then choose the project of the year.
- LAUNCH was featured in the G8 Social Impact Investment Forum in London.
- LAUNCH was named in Top 25 Innovations in Government. The recognition comes each year by the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
- LAUNCH Water team was given the NASA Group Achievement Award “for the creativity and energy you have dedicated to create a forum to share innovations in water sustainability to better our world.”