LAUNCH: Design and Manufacturing
LAUNCH seeks to accelerate the transition to a more sustainable society through open innovation, industry collaboration, and global systems mobilization. To meet this goal, we support and engage a global eco-system of innovators and pioneering organisations with the potential to create the shift towards a circular economy.
Imagine a world where every product was a service. A future of zero ownership. A future where all products were designed to last, to be reused, repaired and recycled keeping products and materials in the loop. It sounds amazing, right?
In this year’s Innovation Challenge, LAUNCH searched for innovators with the potential to make history through new ways of design and manufacturing for a circular economy. We are proud to announce the eight selected innovators:
- Circular Devices - PuzzlePhone is a modular smartphone designed for longevity and circularity; it is customizable, repairable, and upgradable
- EON - The industry’s first RFID tag in the form of a thread that can integrate with textiles to power recycling
- Living Ink Technologies - Making renewable and biodegradable printing ink from algae
- Colorifix - Converting agricultural residues into pigments and dyed textiles using no acids or solvents – just sugar and biology
- StrataLayer - Modular build furniture that changes according to life scenarios
- AEROPOWDER - A sustainable insulation material created from waste feathers
- Recircular - A brokering platform that proposes alternatives for a given waste stream and connects the generator with potential consumers
- University College, London - A new policy that companies only sell the lifetime services of their products but retain ownership of the materials
Innovator submissions were invited from academics, companies, entrepreneurs, inventors, non profit organisations, research institutions, national laboratories, government agencies, social enterprises and funders. The LAUNCH team and partners selected this year's eight innovators following an extensive review conducted by more than 42 professional experts from research organizations, government institutions, and global companies.
What's next? Check out our blog for details.
THE INNOVATION CHALLENGE
LAUNCH searched for innovations that could provide solutions to the following challenge:
HOW CAN WE - THROUGH NEW WAYS OF DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING - SHAPE A MORE SUSTAINABLE FUTURE OF MATERIALS AND MANUFACTURING
We called for:
- Products that are designed to be reused and designed to last
- Products that are built, recycled and disposed of with no negative impact for nature
- Products manufactured locally using the natural and recycled resources available right around us
- We want to use digital capabilities to help us responsibly manage our limited global resources
In 2017, we will select up to 10 innovative solutions and invite these innovators into the LAUNCH community. Here, we will help them scale through collaboration with a world-class group of industry pioneers, government organizations, investors, innovation experts and technical capacities.
Hear Vigga Svensson talk about how the LAUNCH program helped her accelerate her business:
ANNOUNCEMENT OF TOP 8 INNOVATORS // OCTOBER 2017
LAUNCH has selected 8 innovative solutions, and has invited these innovators into the LAUNCH community. Now, we will help them scale through collaboration with a world-class group of industry pioneers, government organizations, investors, innovation experts and technical capacities.
LAUNCH FORUM AND ACCELERATION // NOVEMBER 2017
The top 8 innovators will present their innovation to members of the LAUNCH network at the LAUNCH Forum in November 2017. The Forum is a facilitated multi-day event connecting innovators with market leaders, technical experts, NGO’s, and public sector actors committed to accelerating the adoption and scale of solutions.
The acceleration includes one-on-one mentorship, access to market partners, and facilitated opportunities for investment with LAUNCH partners and others. The LAUNCH cycle does not offer a cash prize and does not take any equity.
For more information, contact the LAUNCH team: firstname.lastname@example.org